Benefits and Financial Help

Ruth smiling

Parents can claim benefits for their children with Down’s syndrome, and adults with Down’s syndrome also get benefits.

We have provided a run-down of the most commonly claimed benefit for our members

Please check your own situation before making decisions about what to claim.

If you, or members of your family, are subject to immigration control, please get advice before claiming any benefit.  If you claim wrongly, you may put your stay in the UK at risk.

If you would prefer to talk to Helen, the DSA adviser, ring the Benefits Helpline on 0333 1212 300 or email . We can assist with appeals.

Opening times:  Monday and Thursday 10-4, and Tuesday and Wednesday 10-12.30.

Where to start

If you are new to the benefits system, have a look at Commonly claimed benefits firstWe list benefits in the most common situations, for example, if you’ve just had a baby with Down’s syndrome, or your child has just turned 16.

Our Detailed benefit guides are below.

As benefits change often, you can get up to date information from Benefits News.

The Other benefits section lists various situations, and groups benefits that might be helpful in those circumstances.

For financial help outside the benefits system, have a look at How to find financial help from charities.

Benefits background information gives more general information, for example, how to challenge a decision, and how the benefits cap works.

If you need information about Direct Payments or other local authority funding go to Local Authority Funding.

What's New