Vinay, our colleague at the DSA, is very keen on exercise and health.
He’s shared some top tips with us on how to keep fit and healthy at home. He first wrote this list for winter exercise, but it is just as important to stay active while we are being asked to stay at home.
When we are asked to stay at home it can be harder to keep fit and healthy. Here are my top 10 tips to keep healthy at home:
- Doing arm exercises whilst sat in your chair is a good way to do exercise in the comfort of your own home. Exercises such as bicep curls are a good place to start.
- You can not only exercise your arms while you sit, but also exercise your legs. Try straightening out your legs to work your thighs.
- If you have an exercise ball, there are lots of exercises you can do with them to build up your strength at home. For example, sitting on one while you watch TV is very good for your core strength.
- In the morning I like to perform a full Sun Salutation (a yoga move) to warm up my whole body and get me ready for the day ahead.
- I like to put a yoga mat down on the floor and perform some exercises whilst sat down, such as reaching up to work my shoulders. I also like to sit on the mat and meditate and focus on my breathing to help me relax.
- It can be really good for you to regularly stretch your fingers and hands, especially if you are now working at home on a computer.
- It’s really important to drink lots of water, you can add things like honey and lemon to make it taste nice. I keep a glass with me on my desk at work.
- 30 minutes before you exercise, try having a snack to give you energy. I like to have a healthy bar with nuts in it before I exercise.
- To help with eating healthy, it’s a good idea to plan your meals the day before, and to make sure you eat lots of vegetables. I also like to eat fish as it is good for your brain and body.