Do you need financial help for a specific purpose?
There are numerous charities which make grants to individuals. However, their funds are under great pressure, and it can be hard to find a charity which will fund the need you have. You will need to look for organisations which fund the kind of need you have.
Turn2Us is a charity which helps people to access financial help from benefits, and from charities. They have a simple search engine for charities on their website. If you are looking for financial help from a charity, go to Turn2Us.
A couple of common queries are about help to buy computers, and help with the cost of a holiday.
- AbilityNet gives advice about computers for disabled people, with advice on funding
- Home Farm Trust – guide to holidays for people with learning disabilities includes a section on help with funding a holiday.
The Family Fund
The Family Fund gives money to buy equipment or services for children who need extra help because of a severe disability or long-term illness. Grants are means-tested.
You can apply to the Family Fund if you are the parent or carer of a child or young person aged 18 or under and you have the legal right to live in the UK. Go to the Family Fund for information.
Further suggestions for help with funding
Don’t forget there are benefits, grants and other schemes which you may be able to apply for. Some are listed in our Other benefits section, for example:
- Disabled Facilities Grant and other housing grants
- Energy efficiency and heating grants
- Extra help with costs – the Social Fund
- Health benefits – help with prescriptions, fares to hospital, etc.