For New Parents : Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance (CA) is a benefit for people who are 16 and over, who regularly care for a disabled person.

You may get Carer’s Allowance if:

  • You are caring for someone who gets the middle or highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, or either rate of Personal Independence Payment daily living component, or Attendance Allowance.
  • You are caring for someone 35 or more hours a week.
  • You are not working and earning more than £123 a week (2019/2020). You can deduct tax, national insurance contributions, half of any personal pension contributions, and child care costs, from your earnings. If you are earning and want to claim CA, check the details of these rules, either with the CA Unit or the DSA Benefits Advisor on 0333 1212 300.
  • You are not a full-time student (attending a course for 21 hours or more a week).

Carer’s premium

You cannot get Carer’s Allowance (CA) if you are already getting Universal Credit, Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Incapacity Benefit, Retirement Pension, Pension Credit, bereavement benefits and some other benefits.

But you may still get some extra money, called the carer’s premium, if you claim CA while on means-tested benefits (Universal credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax support).

How does Carer’s Allowance work?

You claim CA for yourself. You cannot normally get extra money for a partner or dependent children.  Only your own income counts – savings or a partner’s income are ignored.

You can get CA even if you have not paid National Insurance contributions. You get National Insurance credits (which count towards your Retirement Pension) while you are on CA.

Working and Carer’s Allowance

If you are working, or plan to start work while you are on CA, make sure you tell the CA Unit in writing and keep a copy of your letter.

For more information and how to apply, go to Carer’s Allowance on GOV.UK.

What's New