For Families and Carers : Day-to-Day Support for Adults

Getting Support for Adults

People with Down’s syndrome and their families need different levels of support to achieve the things they wish to in daily life. The first step to getting additional day-to-day support is to ask for a Social Care Assessment from the local authority.

Social care is not necessarily a replacement for a parent or carer’s support, but can complement the support they provide and is there to help the person they support. Some social care provision is to support the Carer in their role by enabling them to have a break and be involved in work, training, leisure or other activities.

What is social care?

Social care support can take different forms. Depending on the person’s needs and wishes this could include support with personal care, such as washing, eating or going to the toilet, support with household tasks, travelling, living in their own home, developing friendships and taking part in leisure activities.

Social care support can be provided as services from a local authority, services from other organisations commissioned by a local authority or as financial payments (direct payments) paid directly to the person so they can buy and manage their own support.

The DSA’s social care series has information about how to request different social care assessments in England and how to get the right level of support.

The name and type of the assessment varies according to the age of the person.


See the Social Care Series for more information about assessments and how to apply

Getting support from an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

If the supported person is under 25 and in education, it is also possible to ask for a social care assessment as part of the overall assessment process for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or when the EHCP is reviewed. For more information on EHCPs, including how social care fits in, see our Education Rights factsheets

Care Act (2014)

The law on social care has changed. The Care Act (2014) aims to reform social care legislation in England for adults, and the changes came into force in April 2015. Find out more.


What's New