For Families and Carers : Housing Benefit – help with paying rent

Housing Benefit (HB) helps people on a low income to pay their rent. You can get Housing Benefit whether you are working, or claiming other benefits, such as Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance. Universal Credit (UC) which has been recently introduced, has housing benefit included so you may have to claim this instead.

For information, go to GOV.UK’s section on Housing Benefit, or to Disability Rights UK’s Housing Benefit factsheet.

If you are affected by the “bedroom tax”, the new rule in Housing Benefit where your benefit is reduced if you have an “extra” bedroom, you may find information about Discretionary Housing Payments useful.  Go to Disability Rights UK’s factsheet:  Discretionary Housing Payments – your rights explained.

What's New

  • Lily’s festive lockdown venture

    Hi my name is Lily I am 18 years old. I live with my mum (Sally) my dad, Paul and my sister Lucy.  I have 3 dogs Rosie, Bonnie and Maggie I enjoy walking and playing with them. My sister is a Ma…

  • Team Reggie raises £8k in a year!

    Superstar fundraiser Chris Sharp and his Team Reggie pals raised more than £8,000 for the Down’s Syndrome Association (DSA) last year. Chris completed the 100 mile Ride London cycling event an…

  • KAEFER UK & Ireland select DSA as charity of the year

    KAEFER UK & Ireland has selected the Down’s Syndrome Association (DSA) to be their Charity of the Year for 2021-2022. We are honoured that industrial services company <a href="https://ka…