To commemorate our last 50 years, everyone in the organisation will be doing something to celebrate this special year.
Throughout the year we’ll be sharing the stories of people with Down’s syndrome who have lived, thrived and surpassed expectations through the last 50 years as well as celebrating the role that the DSA has played, and continues to play, in radically changing the landscape for people with Down’s syndrome… in education, health, employment and awareness, and understanding in society as a whole.
Here’s just some of the ways we’ll be marking our 50th year:
- Special photography exhibition – featuring 50 people with Down’s syndrome curated by Richard Bailey at the Langdon Down Centre.
- Oral Histories project – we’ll be hearing from people over 50 and their families, learning about their life and memories over the past 50 years.
- As well as our Oral Histories, we will also have blogs from those over 50 and their families.
- Afternoon Tea – we’ll be hosting special afternoon teas for people with learning disabilities at the Langdon Down Centre.
- 50 skydivers – fundraisers will be jumping out of a plane on World Down Syndrome Day to raise funds and awareness.
- WorkFit – will be signing up 50 new employers and taking 50 new video clips of candidates in jobs that they love.
- DSActive – will be launching new sports and sessions this year. They will be continuing to provide expert training for coaches as making sure their festivals are even bigger than before.
- We will be sending free Helpline information to 250 maternity services and will continue to provide Helpline support to thousands of expectant parents.
- We will work hard to get our Relationship and Sex Education resources used by 50 different adult support providers.
- Producing new information resources for supporting emotional well-being, education and speech and language therapy.
- Increased participation and co-production with people who have Down’s syndrome, in all of our information and training services.
- More FREE training/study days including Tell it Right study days and NEW Supporting Adults training days and Online Education training sessions.
- Our Northern Ireland team have a variety of family days and walks planned throughout the year.
|To keep updated throughout the year, check out #DSA50 and #OurStories on our social media and you’ll see all the ways we are sharing your stories and making this year one to remember.|
We have been very fortunate to receive funding for some of our 50th birthday projects from the Heritage Lottery Fund and thank all players of the National Lottery for making this project possible.